Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Soundtrack of My Life - Track 2

"Circle" - Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians

This song takes me back to my high school days. I had this group of friends, and we were absolutely inseparable. It was Steener, Naner, Special K, Little F, and me. I was like the mom of the group. Since I was a little older and had a car, I was always running around picking everyone up for band practice (relax, we were all in the colorguard!) and various other activities. We'd ride around in the car, me driving a million miles an hour because I always felt bulletproof, laughing and doing stupid, obnoxious things that stupid, obnoxious teenage girls always do. We even had our own little language. We decided that we were all going to remain virgins until marriage, but that didn't last long. Little F was the first to go, but, then again, that's why we called her Little F.

I don't really talk to any of them anymore. I continued to see Steener at Christmastime at my aunt's house. She had long been in love with my cousin, but I assume she's over that because she married someone else. Special K, who acted clueless but was utterly brilliant, was living in Boston last I heard and working at Harvard. Little F married her high school sweetheart and they are living somewhere in Central Virginia. And Naner did what all good Mormon girls do . . . she went to BYU and then came back to Virginia and got married.

I miss those guys. I'm sure if you got us all together, we probably wouldn't have anything in common anymore, but I'm tempted to try to get in touch with them from time to time. But some things are best left in the past, I suppose. Everything is temporary anyway.

No comments: