Monday, March 12, 2007

A Friend Indeed . . .

I was off of work on Friday (thus the four blog entries!) and got a message half way through the day from my friend who had been having a pretty crappy week. So I suggested that we get together and have a few beers just one-on-one for some quality girl talk.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I find that my friends usually go out in a big group. (Or "a gaggle of gigglers" as my brother used to call my friends and me when we were in high school!) Don't get me wrong, those nights are usually some of the best times. But every once in a while, you just need the intimacy of a real conversation to remind you of the difference between a real friend and just a person that you go out drinking with.

So Friday, as I sat there talking with my friend, and I saw tears well up in her eyes for the third or fourth time in the evening, it occurred to me that I don't think I've ever had that kind of conversation with her before. Sure, we've talked about a lot of things over the past few years, but I've never seen her allow herself to be so vulnerable before. It was so open and honest, and it showed me that she must trust me more than I had ever realized for her to have shared her thoughts and fears with me the way she did.

She told me today how much she appreciated me being there for her. But it also made me realize how grateful I was that she LET me be there. Does that make sense?

If you've got just one friend who you can share your thoughts with, or who trusts you enough to share hers with you, you are the luckiest person in the world.

1 comment:

Jo said...

I think I'm gonna cry again...

You're the bestest!

You know I hadn't realized that was the first conversation we'd had like that either. We talk about a lot of things but it's most often in a group setting as opposed to a one on one conversation.